According to top-medical-schools, Sweetwater, Texas is located in the heart of West Texas and is a small city with a population of approximately 11,000 people. The city is situated on the northern edge of Nolan County, and lies at an elevation of 1,700 feet above sea level. Sweetwater has a semi-arid climate characterized by hot summers and mild winters. Rainfall is fairly low throughout the year, but the area does get some snow during the winter months.
The area around Sweetwater was first settled in 1876 when it became part of Nolan County. The town was officially incorporated in 1895 and has had several mayors since then. Sweetwater’s economy relies largely on agriculture as well as oil production, which remains an important industry to this day. The city also has several schools including Sweetwater High School and Middle School as well as two elementary schools; there are also several private schools in the area.
When it comes to landmarks, Sweetwater is home to the historic Santa Fe Depot which was built in 1913 and serves as a reminder of an earlier time when railroads were used to transport goods across the region. Other notable landmarks include Lake Sweetwater Park which offers scenic views as well as activities such as fishing, swimming and boating; there are also several historic churches throughout town that date back over 100 years ago. In addition, there are numerous other cultural attractions such as museums, galleries and art centers that provide visitors with an opportunity to explore local history and culture.
Population: 11,415. Estimated population in July 2020: 10,694 (-6.3% change)
Males: 5,441 (47.7%), Females: 5,974 (52.3%)
Zip code: 79556
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $24,293
Median house value: $33,000
Races in Sweetwater:
- White Non-Hispanic (61.5%)
- Hispanic (31.7%)
- Other race (15.7%)
- Black (5.8%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (15.4%), Irish (7.0%), German (6.4%), English (5.6%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%), French (1.7%).
Land area: 10.0 square miles
Sweetwater, Texas is located in the western part of the state and is a small rural town. The population of Sweetwater is just over 10,000 people as of 2019. The town has a mix of both young and old, with a median age of 36.5 years old. The racial makeup of Sweetwater is predominantly white, making up around 74% of the population. African American, Hispanic or Latino and Asian make up the other 26%.
The town has seen a steady growth in its population over the years due to its strong economy and job opportunities in industries such as oil and gas, agriculture and manufacturing. Sweetwater also has several educational institutions including Texas State Technical College, Trinity Valley Community College and San Angelo State University which attract students from all over the country. There are also two public school districts in Sweetwater that serve grades pre-K through 12th grade.
The town has many recreational activities for residents to enjoy including golf courses, fishing spots, parks like Lake Sweetwater Park and even an 18-hole disc golf course for those who want to play a round outdoors. Additionally, there are several restaurants offering various cuisines ranging from traditional American dishes to Mexican favorites like tacos or enchiladas. Shopping isn’t forgotten either with stores like Walmart located in town providing all kinds of amenities for locals and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Sweetwater
- High school or higher: 67.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sweetwater city
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 54.9%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 11.3%
- Divorced: 10.3%
4.3% Foreign born (3.6% Latin America, 0.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -586 (-4.9%).
Hospital/medical center in Sweetwater:
- ROLLING PLAINS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (200 E ARIZONA)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Sweetwater:
- FISHER COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT (about 29 miles; ROTAN, TX)
- HAMLIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; HAMLIN, TX)
- MITCHELL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; COLORADO CITY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sweetwater:
- DYESS AFB (about 39 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
- ABILENE REGIONAL (about 52 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: ABI)
- SAN ANGELO REGIONAL/MATHIS FIELD (about 78 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Abbreviation: SJT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sweetwater:
- AVENGER FIELD (about 3 miles; SWEETWATER, TX; Abbreviation: SWW)
- FISHER COUNTY (about 24 miles; ROTAN/ROBY, TX; Abbreviation: 56F)
- HAMLIN MUNI (about 33 miles; HAMLIN, TX; Abbreviation: 14F)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Sweetwater:
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-SWEETWATER (Full-time enrollment: 742; Location: 300 COLLEGE DR; Public)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sweetwater:
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 47 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 77 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,477)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 120 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 126 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 148 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 150 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
Public high school in Sweetwater:
- SWEETWATER H S (Students: 602; Location: 1205 RAGLAND; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sweetwater:
- SWEETWATER MIDDLE (Students: 515; Location: 305 LAMAR; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SWEETWATER INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 315; Location: 705 E 3RD; Grades: 04 – 05)
- SOUTHEAST EL (Students: 294; Location: 1201 MUSTANG DR; Grades: PK – 03)
- EAST RIDGE EL (Students: 258; Location: 1700 E 12TH ST; Grades: PK – 03)
- COWEN ELEMENTARY (Students: 199; Location: 700 W 4TH; Grades: PK – 03)