Sweden Entry Requirements

Sweden Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Germany no no no
Austria no no no
Switzerland no no no
Other EU countries no no no
Turkey Yes 1 Yes

ID cards/identity cards

i.a. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter with a valid identity card for touristic stays of up to 3 months: EU countries (Denmark and Finland only when entering directly from a Scandinavian country) and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa/visa-free stay if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Sweden is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for nationals of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 3 months within 180 days: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [1] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco.

  • Thembaprograms: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Sweden. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the competent consular representation (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry and Transit Visa.


Inquiries to the competent consular representation (see contact addresses).


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who travel from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country without leaving the transit area on the same day (no overnight stay) and who have valid onward travel documents do not require a transit visa. In person at the competent consular representation in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses).

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa validity date and issued within the last 10 years and copies of the first four pages of the passport. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. For this reason, visas are only issued in individual cases at the Swedish representations in Germany and Austria.

Temporary Residence

Inquiries to the consular representations. Information and forms are also available from the Swedish Migration Board.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Up to 14 days. Deviations are possible. Long-term stay: Several months.

Proof of sufficient funds

Travelers who require a visa and non-EU citizens who are allowed to stay in Sweden without a visa must have sufficient funds (450 SEK per day. Less if the accommodation is already paid for or for private visits.).

Extension of stay

As of May 1st, 2014, EU citizens who stay in Sweden without a visa for more than 3 months and want to work or study there, for example, no longer have to have their right of residence certified by the competent administrative authority. EU citizens can work, study and live in Sweden without a residence permit. Swiss people who want to stay in Sweden for more than 3 months need a residence permit. Non-EU citizens must apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Embassy before entering the country.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport or identity card or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: identity card or passport. Turks: passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

There are no restrictions for dogs and cats from Norway. Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal had a valid rabies vaccination, or a valid booster vaccination against rabies, at least 21 days ago. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The detection of rabies antibodies and a tapeworm treatment (Echinococcus multilocularis) is no longer required since 2012. However, dogs must be dewormed against dwarf tapeworm before traveling. Birds kept as pets can be imported without a health certificate or permit. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and other small pets from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. If the animal is found to be sick upon entry, it must be quarantined for 120 days and then isolated again for 60 days. The following additional requirement applies to Sweden: Dogs must be vaccinated against canine distemper. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport (pet pass), which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for importation. For more information, contact the Swedish National Agency for Agriculture.

Sweden Entry Requirements