Principles of Project Management
- Type: Intensive (online and block course on one weekend)
- Examination performance: 6 essays of 300 words (one per week at the beginning; 30%)
- 11 short open book tests online (for each insufficient 1% deduction)
- Paper individually (complete project plan; 70%)
- Lecturer: Prof. Craig Langston:
- Professor of Construction and Facilities Management, who has been in charge of this subject for years. His penchant for modern communication technologies (which is also proven by the blended learning approach) and his flair for design (which should definitely be used for the final report) were particularly noticeable.
- Content: The lecture is based on the PMBOK Guide and thus includes the following chapters: Project integration, scope, time, cost, risk, quality, human resource, communication, procurement, stakeholder and environmental management. These then also form the basic framework for the comprehensive project management plan, which is to be drawn up as the main work. The 6 short essays deal with the key figures of value, efficiency, speed, innovation, complexity and impact relevant in project management, which are discussed in a pseudo-discussion in the class forum. Ultimately, however, each student simply makes a qualified statement by introducing an aspect of the current topic.
- Effort: The effort for the 7.5 ECTS is very high if you aim for a very good grade. Most of the first 6 weeks are spent writing the essays. In addition, the short tests run, which are feasible (because open book), but still take up 11 weeks. With regard to the main work, MS Project or a similar program must also be learned in order to plan your own project. In general, the blended learning approach followed requires a lot of initiative and a lot of housework. You can divide the time yourself on this course and have no final exam.
- Other: It is not worth buying the book for the course, because the documents provided are very detailed. During the contact event, Craig’s former students are present who act as tutors. These can provide very valuable tips and also specific answers to problems.
- Conclusion: Those who are not afraid of the effort will be rewarded in this course with good grades and an interesting teaching approach.
Food & restaurants
Market Square is not far from the university and various accommodations. More or less everything you need is offered here (pharmacy, bottleshop, post office, food, etc.). There are also some restaurants and takeaways here:
The Lakes: Minimally upscale restaurant for this area with special opening times. But the food is very good. Pancakes, pasta and pizza are recommended.
Blackboard: Directly opposite is this cafe, which is extremely popular not only with students. Here you can find the best coffee in the vicinity of the university (partly own blends) and also a slightly more expensive breakfast. We recommend: Various coffees, baked goods (banana bread, brownie, donut), fries
The Hub: The adjoining restaurant had a somewhat turbulent time during our stay, including a change of management. At times the food here was highly recommended (especially the lunch menu), but towards the end most of the people avoided the restaurant because of its lousy service.
CBD: The CBD includes both a casino corner (machines, horse racing, etc.) and a bar-restaurant. There is typical bar food, fitness plates, pizzas and lunch menus. We recommend: Chicken Parmigiana, Nachos, Thai Beef Salad,…
Snack: There are also other typical snack bars such as Subways (sandwich), a Mexican or PitaPit (similar principle to Subway, simply with gyros wrap), Shushi and Pad Thai.
Hugo’s Burger Lounge: A selection of freshly prepared burgers of excellent quality.
Sparrow Eating House: The small restaurant right next to Hugo’s is reminiscent of a Berlin scene restaurant and convinces with unusual food and good wine.
Hellenika: The best Greek restaurant on the Gold Coast has its price, but it’s worth it.
Bavarian: Bavarian-style restaurant with German beer of almost German quality at prices that are not entirely German.
Casino: The Jupiters Casino has various excellent restaurants and you can try your luck afterwards.
Greek Street Grill: Souvlaki and gyros right on the beach promenade of Surfers Paradise.
Surf club: A good breakfast on the absolute beachfront in Surfers Paradise.
Funky Olive: Nice coffee with different breakfast variations.
California Tacos: Simple: Tacos and Coronas!
Curry Express: Very good curry also for take away. Student special available with the Legi!
The Little Plate: Great cuisine with sometimes unusual menus and daily specials. The special flair of the restaurant only really unfolds when you get hold of a table outside on the sidewalk.
Fish House: Very upscale restaurant with excellent food and a fantastic view of the sea. The wine list also leaves nothing to be desired.
Lester and Earl: American barbecue with different types of meat from the smoker (especially the ribs and the chilli are special). There is also a nice selection of beers, which you can also taste directly at the bar before deciding on one.
Pablo Pablo: Tapas restaurant in Latin American style, which also offers multi-course menus.
Surf club: Good food with a great beach view.
Burger Lounge: Burger restaurant with distinction. Absolutely awesome!
My Gelato: Right next to the burger lounge there is a real Italian gelateria, which produces one of the best gelato in Australia (OMG is one of the flavors).
- Australia is a major country in Oceania continent. For information about Oceania, please visit constructmaterials.
Glass Dining: Fine dining in Main Beach Harbor. Very good food and excellent service. Unfortunately, the atmosphere suffers a little due to a lack of soundproofing when the restaurant is completely full.
- Cucina Vivo, Italian, Broadbeach ($$)
- House of Brews, Surfers Paradise ($$)
- Caffe Republic on Hedges in Mermaid Beach ($) – Best coffee protein shake!
- Easy Street Dinner in Mermaid Beach ($) – Known for their great burgers
- Sparrow Eating House (Nobbys Beach)
- Funky Olive (Burleigh Head)
- Jamie Olivers Italian (Brisbane)
- Eleven Rooftop Bar (Brisbane)
- Scout Cafe (Brisbane)
- Le Cafe Gourmande (Mermaid Beach)
- Marketta (Miami)