Spain Entry Requirements

Spain Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Germany No/1 no no
Austria No/1 no no
Switzerland No/1 no no
Other EU countries No/1 no no
Turkey Yes 2 Yes

ID cards/identity cards

[1] Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter the country with a valid identity card/identity card: EU countries and Switzerland. (Exception: Citizens of Ireland (Rep.) need a passport.) Attention: For travel on cruise ships that start in the Canary Islands, however, a passport is always required for all nationalities.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports must not be older than ten years. Passports of EU and EFTA citizens must be valid during the stay.

  • Thembaprograms: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Spain. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.

Note on the passport

Advanced Passenger Information System (Apis): The system of pre-recorded passenger data, called Advanced Passenger Information System (Apis), requires the registration of the following personal data of passengers by the transporting airline: name, surname, date of birth, nationality, passport number, country of residence, destination, type of travel document and gender. The data is collected at check-in.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 90 days: (a) EU countries and Switzerland; (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco.

Note on the visa

Spain is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).


Inquiries to the consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry, transit visa.


Short-term visa: 6 months from the date of issue for a 90-day stay. Transit visa: 5 days stay per entry.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who have valid onward travel documents and travel on from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country without leaving the transit area do not require a transit visa. In person at the competent consular representation in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses).

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least three months beyond stay and issued within the last 10 years and copies of the first four pages of the passport. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. Foreigners requiring a visa must have at least a sum equivalent to €810 and at least €90 per day. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. That is why the Spanish representations in Germany and Austria only issue visas in individual cases.

Temporary Residence

Information from the responsible consular representations (see contact addresses).

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Extension of stay

EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than 3 months in Spain no longer have to have their right of residence certified by the responsible administrative authority. EU citizens are entitled to work in Spain for an unlimited period. You do not need a work permit for this. EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than 3 months in Spain have to register at the relevant immigration office or police station within three months of their arrival. In addition, EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than 3 months in Spain must

Entry with children

Germans: Identity card, machine-readable children’s passport or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or own passport. Turks: passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Important: Unaccompanied minors who (also) have Spanish nationality must have a travel permit from their parents/guardians (if possible with a Spanish translation) to leave Spain. Note: The requirements of individual airlines for the documents to be carried by their passengers differ in part from the state regulations. Since the 27th Since June 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import. About the regional regulations on leash obligation, You should find out about muzzle requirements and dangerous dog breeds from the relevant consular representation (see contact addresses). A veterinary health certificate is required for birds. Entry of parrots is limited to 2 and other birds to 10.

Spain Entry Requirements