Slovenia Entry Requirements

Slovenia Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 2 Yes
Other EU countries Yes, 1 no no
Switzerland Yes, 1 no no
Austria Yes, 1 no no
Germany Yes, 1 no no

ID cards/identity cards

[1] et al. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter the country with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. In addition, the passports of non-EU citizens must not be more than ten years old. Non-EU citizens who have their main place of residence in an EU country must also present a valid residence permit for this EU country. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Slovenia is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement). Within the Schengen area, there are no longer any identity checks for travelers at the border, but an identity document must be carried.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area. Note: ID is compulsory in Slovenia.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for nationals of the following countries listed in the table above: (a) EU countries and Switzerland for stays of up to 90 days; (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country.

  • Thembaprograms: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Slovenia. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the Consular Section of the Embassy. Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry (short and long-term visa), transit visa, airport transit visa.


Short Term Visa: 6 months for a stay of up to 90 days. Long-term visa: stays longer than 90 days. Transit visa: 5 days.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who travel on from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country on the same or the next aircraft, have valid onward travel documents and do not leave the transit area do not require a transit visa. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence.

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must have been issued within the last 10 years. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form (downloadable from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence.

Temporary Residence

For a stay of more than 3 months, EU citizens need a residence registration.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have sufficient funds, at least €70 per adult per day. Exceptions include citizens of EU countries and Switzerland.

Legally Required Registration

Travelers who require a visa must report to the police within 3 days. Individual travelers staying with relatives or friends must report to the police within 72 hours of arrival. De-registration must take place before departure. For foreign tourists who are accommodated in a hotel, in a pension or on a camping site, the respective hostel takes care of the police registration. EU citizens and Swiss only have to register in good time if they plan to stay longer than 3 months.

Documents required upon entry

Sufficient funds (except for citizens of EU countries and Switzerland).

Entry with children

German: Children’s passport, own passport or identity card. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: It is recommended that minors traveling alone provide a declaration of consent from their legal guardian. The competent diplomatic missions provide information on the special formal requirements for these parental powers of attorney. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU).

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import. Attention: Dogs must be kept on a leash in all public areas,

Slovenia Entry Requirements