Slovakia Entry Requirements

Slovakia Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 1 Yes
Other EU countries no no no
Switzerland no no no
Austria no no no
Germany no no no

ID cards/identity cards

i.a. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter the country with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. In addition, the passports of non-EU citizens must not be more than ten years old. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

The Slovak Republic is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

Attention: Only vaccinated and recovered people are exempt from the test and entry quarantine. A visa is generally required except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 90 days (unless otherwise stated): (a) EU countries and Switzerland; (b) [1] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco.

  • Thembaprograms: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Slovakia. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Transit visa, entry visa.


Transit visa: 5 days. Entry visa: i. Generally 6 months from issue for a maximum stay of 90 days.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who travel on from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country within 48 hours, can present all documents for the onward journey and do not leave the transit area do not require a transit visa. However, nationals of some countries require a transit visa. Further information can be obtained from the responsible consular representations. In person at the competent consular representation in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses).

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least three months beyond the stay and copies of the first four pages of the passport. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos (3 x 3.5 cm). (g) 1 completed application form.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence.

Temporary Residence

EU citizens who want to stay in the country for more than 3 months must have their right of residence certified by the competent administrative authority before the deadline expires.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Proof of sufficient funds

Visitors to the Slovak Republic (except citizens of EU and EFTA countries) are obliged to carry sufficient funds of €56 per adult per day. Cash, a statement from an account held in SR, a voucher, proof of payment for services in SR, an invitation, etc. can serve as evidence of financial resources. Credit cards are not accepted as proof of funds.

Legally Required Registration

Visitors to the Slovak Republic who require a visa are obliged to register with the local immigration police station within 3 working days of entering the Slovak Republic. In the case of accommodation in a hotel, this is usually arranged there. EU citizens and Swiss must report to the police at their place of stay within ten days, unless their hotel does this. For stays of more than 90 days, EU citizens and Swiss citizens are obliged to register their stay, which must be completed within 30 days of the 90-day period after entry.

Documents required upon entry

(a) Health insurance for travel abroad (EU citizens: European health insurance card. Travel insurance recommended). (b) Sufficient funds (except for citizens of EU countries and Switzerland).

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport, own passport or identity card. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: Unaccompanied minors and minors with a different surname than their accompanying legal guardian are advised to carry a travel permit from the parent/guardian not traveling with them. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU).

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import.

Slovakia Entry Requirements