According to allcitycodes, Paramaribo is the capital of Suriname. The old center of this city has many old and colonial houses and buildings. Some, such as the St. Peter and Paul Cathedral, are still made of wood. This evokes a somewhat village-like atmosphere. Paramaribo is located on the Suriname River. In the weekends it quickly becomes busier at the water where people look for the wonderful cooling. The markets on the ‘Waterkant’ immediately give you a good impression of the local population and their city. Unfortunately, it can also be seen that the city has to contend with overdue maintenance. Nevertheless, this is a nice piece of tropical Netherlands. It remains special to read all those Dutch nameplates here.
Top 10 sights of Paramaribo
#1. Fort Zeelandia
This fort, which now serves as a museum, was founded around 1600 by the Dutch. From here they traded and defended their settlement against external attacks. After several conquests by, among others, the English and the French, the fort became a barracks and prison years later. At this place are a number of beautiful officers’ residences and a former gunpowder store that now serves as a pharmacy.
#2. The Independence Square
This green square in Paramaribo has the most important buildings in the city. Here you will find the Ministry of Justice & Police, Congress Hall, Governor’s House, Ministry of the Interior and the Presidential Palace. If official events take place, it will usually be on this square. And every Sunday a number of men and their beloved birds compete for who has the most beautiful whistling bird.
#3. St. Peter and Paul Cathedral
On the Henck Arronstraat is the beautiful cathedral of Paramaribo, built entirely of wood. Around 1883, this replica of the Roosendaalse Paterskerk (Redemptotist Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Assistance) was built here. The towers, which are about 44 meters high, were only placed on it in 1901. The church regularly needs maintenance because the wood is quite vulnerable to termites, for example.
The most beautiful and important street of the city runs parallel to the Suriname River. Large colonial houses dominate this street, which was largely destroyed by a major fire in 1821. Many expensive merchant houses were lost. A number of nice eateries bring a lot of atmosphere to this part of the city. There is a daily market here where many fresh products are sold.
#5. Palm Garden
Behind the Independence Square you will find the Governor’s House with behind it the beautiful royal palms in the Palm Garden. The garden was laid out around 1685 by order of the then governor Cornelis van Aerssen van Sommelsdijck. In the city park is a statue of the son of sculptor Jozef Klas, who died very young. This sculptor created the famous statue ‘Kwakoe’ which was placed in Paramaribo for the abolition of slavery.
#6. Paramaribo Zoo
The Culture Garden is located near the André Kamperveen Stadium. The Paramaribo Zoo is located in this garden, which is more of a park. Since the 1980s things have not really gone very well with the zoo, but since Diergaarde Blijdorp from Rotterdam and Artis from Amsterdam got involved, things are going a lot better.
#7. Queen Wilhelmina statue
Close to Fort Zeelandia on the banks of the Suriname Rivers is the statue of Queen Wilhelmina. It was officially placed on Independence Square on the occasion of her 25th anniversary of government. Since Surinamese independence, the statue has been moved to Fort Zeelandia. The bronze statue was designed and made by the Dutch sculptor Gerard van Lom.
#8. Nola Hatterman Institute
This lady is no stranger to artists and art lovers. The unconventional artist from Amsterdam has had a lot of respect in Suriname, where she has settled since 1953. Many students from the art world have taken lessons from her. The Nola Hatterman Institute was founded by these same students after her death.
#9. Mosque and Synagogue on the Keizerstraat
In the Keizerstraat, two places of worship, each with their own belief in peace, are right next to each other. The synagogue ‘Neve Shalom’ has been there since 1842 and the mosque has replaced the previous wooden one from 1932 since 1984. Both buildings are located near a large parking lot. Both the synagogue, which attracts significantly fewer visitors, and the mosque are neatly maintained so that they do not lose their stately appearance.
#10. Duplessis House
A stately house from the 17th century stands on Independence Square. This house once belonged to the unscrupulous and cruel Mrs. Maria Suzanna Duplessis. After her divorce, she moved into this house. She was known for her tough behavior towards slaves. She herself drowned a baby of one of the slaves because it cried too long. Despite this, the house has survived many years and even a fire.