Portugal Entry Requirements

Portugal Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 2 Yes
Other EU countries 1 no no
Switzerland no no no
Austria no no no
Germany no no no

ID cards/identity cards

Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can also enter the country with a valid identity card/identity card for stays of up to 3 months: EU countries and Switzerland (Exceptions: [1] Citizens of Denmark require a passport).

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports must not be older than ten years. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Portugal is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement). Some airlines have different entry document requirements than those required by the state of Portugal. It is therefore essential to contact the airline before departure. The same entry requirements apply to Madeira and the Azores as to Portugal.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 90 days: (a) EU countries and Switzerland; (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco.

  • Medicinelearners: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Portugal. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry, transit and airport transit visa.


Short Term Entry Visa: Up to 90 days stay. Transit visas are valid for a maximum of 5 days.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who fly from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country with the next connection, do not leave the transit area and have valid onward travel documents do not require a transit visa. In person at the competent consular representation in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses).

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least three months beyond stay and issued within the last 10 years and copies of the first four pages of the passport. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. That is why the Portuguese representations in Germany and Austria only issue visas in individual cases.

Temporary Residence

Information from the competent consular representation (see contact addresses).

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have a sum of money of €75 plus €40 per day if they do not have a valid return or onward ticket and proof of paid accommodation. This does not apply to citizens of EU/EFTA countries and Switzerland. Further information is available from the consular representations (see contact addresses).

Extension of stay

EU citizens who want to stay longer than the visa-free 3 months in Portugal must have their right of residence certified by the competent administrative authority. A passport may be required for this.

Entry with children

Germans: Identity card, machine-readable children’s passport or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or own passport. Turks: passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Attention: Unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 and minors who are accompanied by only one parent/legal guardian must carry a certified travel permit from the legal guardian(s) not traveling with them. Attention: If minors and parents/legal guardians have different surnames, the relationship/legal guardianship must be proven, for example by means of a birth certificate. Note: The requirements of individual airlines for the documents to be carried by their passengers differ in part from the state regulations. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible. Since June 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible. Since June 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import.

Portugal Entry Requirements