New Mexico State University Acceptance Rate, Average GPA, SAT and ACT Scores

New Mexico State University was founded in 1888 as the Las Cruces College. It was established to provide educational opportunities for the people of southern New Mexico and Arizona. In 1889, it became the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, and it was renamed New Mexico State University in 1960. For its first fifty years, NMSU served primarily as an agricultural college, offering degrees in agriculture and home economics. In the 1950s, the university began to expand its offerings beyond agriculture to include liberal arts courses in business, education, engineering, sciences, and social sciences. This expansion continued into the 1970s when NMSU began to offer doctoral degrees in a variety of fields. NMSU also began to establish branch campuses throughout the state during this period. In addition to its main campus in Las Cruces, there are now eight branch campuses located throughout New Mexico offering a variety of degree programs at each location. Today, NMSU is a comprehensive research university with over 200 degree programs offered at all levels from undergraduate through doctoral degrees. The university continues to be a leader in research initiatives as well as providing educational opportunities for students from all backgrounds within New Mexico and beyond. Check USPRIVATESCHOOLSFINDER for a list of private schools in West Virginia.

New Mexico State University, as one of the top colleges ranked by major educational institutions, has impressed us by its high selectivity and student friendly application process during admissions. The following tables detail 2018 class profile, including total applications received, average high school GPA, SAT scores/ACT scores, and acceptance rates of New Mexico State University. To learn more about GPA, SAT and ACT scores information, please follow the links below. If you want to find even more about New Mexico State University, such as tuition fees and scholarships, you can click the link after tables to visit the school’s official website.

University acronym:

Admissions Stats

New Mexico State University is a public research university located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The university offers over 200 degree programs to its more than 17,000 students. In terms of admissions statistics, the acceptance rate for New Mexico State University is 88%, meaning that 88% of applicants are accepted into the school each year. The average GPA for incoming freshman is 3.4, and the average SAT score is 1080. Additionally, the majority of admitted students come from within New Mexico (around 70%), with the remaining 30% coming from out-of-state or international locations. In terms of demographics, approximately 60% of students identify as white/Caucasian, while 12% identify as Hispanic/Latino and 9% identify as African American/Black. Around 60% of students come from families with incomes below $50,000 per year and 40% come from families earning higher incomes.

Fall 2022 Selectivity

Selectivity selective
Fall 2022 acceptance rate 83%
Early decision acceptance rate N/A
Early action acceptance rate N/A
Acceptance rate (excluding early action and early decision students) 83%

Fall 2022 Applications, Acceptances & Enrollments

Applicants 5,941
Female applicants 3,330
Male applicants 2,611
Applicants accepted 4,954
Female applicants accepted 2,802
Male applicants accepted 2,152
Freshman enrollment 2,208
Female freshman enrollment 1,168
Male freshman enrollment 1,040
Early decision applicants N/A
Early decision applicants accepted N/A
Early decision applicants enrolled N/A
Early action applicants N/A
Early action applicants accepted N/A
Early action applicants enrolled N/A
Total enrolled incoming freshmen who were accepted under early acceptance or early action N/A

Fall 2022 Wait List

School has a wait list No
Applicants placed on wait list N/A
Students accepting place on wait list N/A
Students accepted from wait list N/A

Fall 2022 High School Rank

Freshman students submitting high school class standing 84%

Fall 2022 High School GPA

Freshman students submitting high school GPA 99%
Average high school GPA 3.3
High school GPA 25th-75th percentile range 2.1-3.5

Fall 2022 Freshman SAT Scores

Freshman students submitting SAT scores 24%
SAT Critical Reading average score 473
SAT Critical Reading 25th-75th percentile range 410-530
SAT Math average score 482
SAT Math 25th-75th percentile range: 420-530
SAT Writing average score 468
SAT Writing 25th-75th percentile range 400-520
SAT Essay 25th-75th percentile range N/A

Fall 2022 Freshman ACT Scores

Freshman students submitting ACT scores 81%
Average ACT Composite score 21
ACT Composite 25th-75th percentile range 17-23
ACT English 25th-75th percentile range 17-23
ACT Math 25th-75th percentile range 16-24