Japan Entry Requirements

Japan Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Other EU countries Yes no Yes
Switzerland Yes no Yes
Austria Yes no Yes
Germany Yes no Yes
Turkey Yes no Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for the duration of the intended stay. Note: Foreigners must always carry their passport with them in Japan. Identification is required.

Note on the passport

Advanced Passenger Information System (Apis): The system of pre-recorded passenger data, called Advanced Passenger Information System (Apis), requires the registration of the following personal data of passengers by the transporting airline: name, surname, date of birth, nationality, passport number, country of residence, destination, type of travel document and gender. The data is collected at check-in. Note: All foreign visitors over the age of 16 will have their fingerprints taken and digital photos taken upon entry.

Visa information

Generally required, with the exception of citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for a tourist stay or a business trip of up to 90 days (extension by 90 days possible for citizens of Germany, Austria and Switzerland, among others.): EU countries, Switzerland and Turkey. Note: Turkish nationals require a biometric or machine-readable passport for visa-free entry.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Japan. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Varies depending on nationality and visa type. Citizens of certain countries (such as Germany) receive the visa free of charge. Further information from the consular representations (see contact addresses).

Visa types and costs

Including transit, tourist, working holiday and employment visas.


Varies depending on nationality and reason for visit. Personal application at the responsible consular representation. For faster processing of a work visa, the future employer can apply to the responsible regional immigration authority for a Certificate of Eligibility, which is then used as a basis for issuing the work visa at a Japanese mission abroad.

Application required

(a) Application Form (www.de.emb-japan.go.jp/konsular/VISA_APPLICATION%20_FORM.pdf). (b) 1 recent passport photo. (c) valid passport. (d) International Travel Health Insurance. (e) Hotel booking or letter of invitation and letter of guarantee. (f) Proof of sufficient financial resources. (g) Itinerary. (h) Flight Reservation. Business Visa: (a) – (h) and (i) letter of introduction. (j) Invitation letter from the Japanese company. Tourist visa: (a) – (h) and (i) booking confirmation from the travel agent and receipt (itinerary), (k) documents stating the purpose of the trip, e.g. invitation for private trips. (l) Possibly residence permit for Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Working Holiday Visa: (a) Valid passport. (b) return ticket or sufficient financial means to purchase one (EUR 1,100). (c) Proof of sufficient financial means (bank balance, travelers cheques, etc. in the amount of approx. EUR 2,000). (d) International travel health insurance that covers the entire period of stay. (e) Curriculum vitae (ask for the form at the consulate). (f) Residence planning (request a form from the consulate). (g) Application justification (approx. 1 Din A4 page informally in English or Japanese). (h) Application form (available at the consulate). (i) 1 recent passport photo. Note: If the application has to be sent to Japan, it must be submitted in duplicate with 2 recent passport photos.

Processing time

Varies depending on nationality and reason for visit. Usually up to 5 working days, in some cases up to several weeks.

Proof of sufficient funds

All travelers must have sufficient funds.

Legally Required Registration

Visa-exempt travelers who want to stay longer than 90 days in Japan need the identity card-like “Residence Card” with photo, which must be carried at all times. This extension is only possible once for a further 90 days. The “Residence Card” is issued upon arrival at the airport. However, you are still required to register with the residents’ registration office.

Documents required upon entry

Documents upon entry: (a) Return or onward travel ticket (b) If applicable, documents for onward travel (visa for third countries). (c) Sufficient funds for the stay.

Extension of stay

In addition to the obligation to register with the residents’ registration office, an entry in the passport by the responsible immigration authority is also required to extend your stay by a further 90 days.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photograph or your own passport. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa regulations apply to children as to their parents. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) to travel abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Before bringing a cat or dog into Japan from Germany, Austria or Switzerland, the animal quarantine service of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries must be notified at least 40 days in advance. The animals must be microchipped and vaccinated twice against rabies. A health certificate is required for each animal, confirming that there is no suspected rabies, leptospirosis or other infectious diseases. Before entering the country, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies (at least 0.5 IU/ml) must be carried out, the results of which must be sent to the MAFF in Japan in good time. Dogs and cats are quarantined for 12 hours to 180 days upon arrival in Japan (for direct arrivals from Australia, UK, Fiji, Guam, Hawaii, Ireland (Rep.), Iceland, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Singapore, Taiwan and Cyprus there is the possibility of a shortened quarantine of approx. 12 hours). Only if all of the strict regulations are met can a quarantine of only around 12 hours be obtained even when entering Germany, Austria and Switzerland. For more information, visit www.maff.go.jp. Dogs are only allowed through certain airports and seaports. Except at Narita and Osaka airports, a place in the isolation ward must be reserved in advance. The animals are also examined on departure; another quarantine of at least 12 hours is to be expected.

Japan Entry Requirements