Italy Entry Requirements

Italy Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 1 Yes
Other EU countries no no no
Switzerland no no no
Austria no no no
Germany no no no

ID cards/identity cards

i.a. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter the country with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports of EU and EFTA citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Italy is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement). These provisions also apply to San Marino and Vatican City.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

Generally required, except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [1] Citizens of Turkey for a stay of up to 90 days who have a residence permit for a Schengen country that is still valid for at least 3 months beyond the planned stay.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Italy. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the competent consular representation (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry, transit visa.


Entry visa: 3 months stay from the date of issue. Transit visa: Maximum 5 days (entry day counts).


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who travel on from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country within 48 hours, do not leave the transit area and have valid documents for the onward journey do not require a transit visa. In person at the competent consular representation in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses).

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must have been issued within the last ten years. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. For this reason, visas are only issued in individual cases at the Italian representations in Germany and Austria.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Extension of stay

EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than three months in Italy must either have an income or have sufficient financial means if they are unemployed or studying and have valid health insurance. In addition, they must register with their responsible residents’ registration office.

Entry with children

Germans: Identity card or machine-readable children’s passport or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: identity card or passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Important: Unaccompanied minors under the age of 15 should carry an officially certified declaration of consent from their parents/guardians. Italian minors under the age of 15 traveling alone must carry a declaration of consent from their parents/guardians. Note: The requirements of individual airlines for the documents to be carried by their passengers differ in part from the state regulations. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Parakeets and parrots from all countries (max. 2 large parrots or 4 smaller ones per person) need a health certificate confirming that the bird’s country of origin is free of parrot disease or that the animal has been under state quarantine for 6 months prior to entry. An import permit is not required if the birds are accompanied by the keeper. There are no regulations for other small animals (e.g. hamsters, small fish, turtles and canaries). A maximum of 5 small animals can be imported without formalities. Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries need an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies for rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import.

Italy Entry Requirements