Hungary Entry Requirements

Hungary Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 2 Yes
Other EU countries Yes, 1 no no
Switzerland Yes, 1 no no
Austria Yes, 1 no no
Germany Yes, 1 no no

ID cards/identity cards

[1] et al. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter Hungary with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland. Note: Germans are required to have at least a valid identity card or passport when entering and leaving Germany.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Hungary is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement). Within the Schengen area, there are no longer any identity checks for travelers at the border, but an identity document must be carried.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for nationals of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 90 days: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [2] Turkish nationals who hold a residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco or have a long-term visa (category D) for a Schengen country.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Hungary. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the Consular Section of the Embassy. Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry (short-term/long-term) and transit visas.


Entry visa: 6 months from the date of issue for a stay of up to 90 days. Transit visa: up to 5 days per transit.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who fly from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country within 24 hours, do not leave the transit area and have valid documents for onward travel, and holders of a Schengen visa do not require a transit visa. Note: Travelers requiring a visa need a transit visa to transfer between the two terminals at Budapest Ferihegy Airport. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence.

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must have been issued within the last 10 years and have at least two blank pages. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form (downloadable from the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( (h) If applicable, a residence permit for Germany, Austria or Switzerland. hu/visa-application-forms). (h) If applicable, a residence permit for Germany, Austria or Switzerland. hu/visa-application-forms). (h) If applicable, a residence permit for Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence.

Processing time

Up to 30 days.

Proof of sufficient funds

Travelers other than EU citizens and Swiss must have funds equivalent to HUF 1,000 per day of stay or a credit card with sufficient funds.

Legally Required Registration

Third-country nationals who intend to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days must report to the police within 30 days. Registration forms and fee stamps are available at post offices and tobacconists. EEA Citizens: If the stay of an EEA citizen is expected to last more than 90 days in total within a 180-day period, the Hungarian address must be registered with the relevant regional office of the Office for Immigration and Citizenship no later than the 93rd day after entry and a Registration certificate (“regisztrációs igazolás”) can be requested.

Documents required upon entry

All travelers – except EU citizens and Swiss – require the following documents upon entry: (a) Sufficient funds (1000 forints per day) or an international credit card or a letter of invitation from a private individual or hotel voucher. (b) Return or onward travel tickets.

Extension of stay

EU citizens and Swiss citizens who want to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days without a visa must have their right of residence certified by the responsible police station. You may need your passport for this. EU citizens and Swiss citizens do not need a permit to take up work. Travelers who require a visa can apply for a long-term residence permit. If the decision is positive, the applicant will receive a one-off entry visa, which is valid for a maximum of 30 days, so that they can collect the residence permit in person.

Entry with children

German: Children’s passport or identity card or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Attention: Minors traveling alone need a certified declaration of consent from the guardians/parents if possible if they are traveling from Hungary to a non-EU country or a non-Schengen country. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import. Note: The import of fighting dogs is prohibited. Dogs must be muzzled on public transport in Hungary. Dogs must be kept on a leash in public places. Dogs are not allowed to swim in Lake Balaton and Lake Velence.

Hungary Entry Requirements