Hong Kong, China Entry Requirements

Hong Kong, China Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes no Yes
Other EU countries Yes no Yes
Switzerland Yes no Yes
Austria Yes no Yes
Germany Yes no Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 1 month when you leave the country. However, for onward travel to other Southeast Asian countries, the passport must be valid for more than six months on the date of onward travel.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for nationals of the following countries listed in the table above for tourist stays of up to 3 months (unless otherwise stated): EU countries (UK: 6 months, Serbia: 14 days with biometric passport, among others). ), Switzerland and Turkey.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Hong Kong, China. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Depending on the nationality of the applicant. Inquiries to the Chinese consular representation or to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (contact address see application).


Residence visa usually 3 months (but possible up to 6 months), depending on the nationality of the applicant and the purpose of the visit. Other visas up to 1 year.


Transit travelers who continue their flight on the next connection within 48 hours, do not leave the transit area and have valid documents for the onward journey do not need a visa. In person at the Consulate or Consular Section of the Embassy of China (see contact addresses) or by post at the Hong Kong Immigration Department, Immigration Tower, 2nd Floor, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong (Tel: 28 24 61 11, Internet: www.immd. gov.hk).

Application required

Visitor Visa: (a) 1 Application Form. (b) 1 passport photo. (c) Passport valid for at least 6 months upon entry and containing at least one blank page. (d) Return Ticket. (e) Proof of Hotel Booking. (f) If applicable, employment contract of the company in Hong Kong or proof of study from the university. (g) If applicable, a copy of the residence permit/work permit for Germany, Austria or Switzerland that is still valid for at least six months. (h) Fee (cash upon application). Business visa additionally: (i) Letter of invitation from the business partner in Hong Kong.

Temporary Residence

Inquiries should be directed to the consular posts, but residence permits are not readily issued.

Processing time

Different, in Germany 1-10 weeks, in Austria about 2-6 weeks.

Proof of sufficient funds

All travelers must show proof of sufficient funds for the duration of the stay.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable child passport for children under the age of 12 or your own passport. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa regulations apply to children as to their parents. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) to travel abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

All animals must obtain an import permit from the Official Veterinarian of the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, Import and Export Division, 5th Floor, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong prior to departure SAR, Tel: (00852) 18 23.) in Hong Kong. Upon entry, an official health certificate from the country of origin must also be presented, which may have been issued no more than 14 days before departure. An implanted microchip and a vaccination certificate are also required (dogs: rabies, parvovirus, canine distemper, hepatitis. Cats: rabies, panleukopenia, cat flu.). Upon import, proof must be provided that the animal has been in its home country for the last 6 months and that no cases of rabies have occurred there during this time. The quarantine requirement of a maximum of 6 months can be lifted if the dogs and cats are more than 5 months old when they enter Germany, come from Germany, Austria or Switzerland and all regulations have been complied with.

Hong Kong, China Entry Requirements