Greece Entry Requirements

Greece Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 1 Yes
Other EU countries no no no
Switzerland no no no
Austria no no no
Germany no no no

ID cards/identity cards

i.a. Citizens of the following countries mentioned in the table above can enter with an identity card, which must be valid for the entire length of stay: EU countries and Switzerland. Note on travel documents The requirements of individual airlines for the documents to be carried by their passengers differ, e.g. T. from the state regulations. It is therefore important to check with the airline before you travel.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if a visa is required. Passports of EU citizens and Swiss nationals must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Greece is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 3 months: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [1] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Greece. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six (6) and under twelve (12) years: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: 35 €.00

Visa types and costs

Entry, transit visa.


Up to 90 days stay, varies by nationality. Transit visa: max. 5 days (the day of entry counts).


Travelers who otherwise require a visa, who fly on from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country, do not leave the transit area and have valid documents for the onward journey, do not need a transit visa. A transit visa is required for overnight transit. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses) if fingerprints need to be taken.

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must not be older than 10 years. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the foreigner (invited) has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey and any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs.. (d) Document proving that the foreigner, on an individual or collective Basis Holders of a valid foreign travel health insurance that covers the costs of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photographs. (g) 1 completed application form.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. For this reason, visas are only issued in individual cases at the Greek representations in Germany and Austria.

Temporary Residence

For stays of more than 3 months, EU citizens and Swiss need a residence permit from the competent administrative authority. You may need your passport for this.

Processing time

Up to 15 days, in individual cases up to 45 days.

Proof of sufficient funds

Citizens of certain countries who do not have sufficient financial resources may be refused entry. Excluded are EU citizens and Swiss, among others.

Legally Required Registration

Anyone wishing to extend their stay must register with the police.

Extension of stay

EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than three months in Greece must either have an income or have sufficient financial means in the case of unemployment or study and be able to show valid health insurance. In addition, they must register with their responsible residents’ registration office.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photo or own passport or identity card. Austrians: identity card or passport. Swiss: identity card or passport. Turks: passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Attention: Minors traveling alone must carry an officially certified declaration of consent from their parents/guardians in English or Greek. If a child is traveling with only one parent, it is also advisable to carry an informal declaration of consent from the other parent with custody. These should also be certified. Since the 27th Since June 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry restrictions

Entry and transit ban for holders of passports issued by the authorities of the following countries, among others: (a) Turkish Republic of Cyprus. (b) Turkey whose passports contain visas or visas permitting a visit to the Turkish Republic of Cyprus.

Entry with pets

For parrots and parakeets from all countries, a health certificate is required per animal stating that the animal does not have parrot disease and that the country of origin is free of parrot disease. Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass), which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The animals may only be brought to Greece via certain prescribed border crossings. In addition, an official veterinary certificate must be presented by an authorized veterinarian. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before that animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies for rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import.

Greece Entry Requirements