Germany Entry Requirements

Germany Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 2 Yes
Other EU countries Yes, 1 no no
Switzerland Yes, 1 no no
Austria Yes, 1 no no
Germany Yes, 1 no no

ID cards/identity cards

[1] et al. Nationals of the following countries listed in the table above can enter for a stay of up to 3 months with an identity card/identity card valid during the stay: EU countries and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months after departure. The passports of EU and EFTA citizens must be valid during the stay. Note: Airline requirements may vary.

Note on the passport

The Federal Republic of Germany is a signatory and user of the EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area. In Germany, all persons over the age of 16 are required to present a valid identity card or passport.

Visa information

Attention: Anyone who has stayed in a risk area, high incidence area or virus variant area within ten days before entering Germany must register digitally at before entering Germany. Further information on entry from risk areas and virus variant areas is available here. A visa is generally required except for nationals of the following countries for stays of up to 3 months within 180 days: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a valid residence permit for a Schengen country or Monaco.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Germany. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the Consular Section of the Embassy. Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six (6) and under twelve (12) years: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: 35 €.00 National visa: €75.

Visa types and costs

Entry, transit visa and residence permit. Information can be obtained from the responsible consular representation.


Entry visa: for single and multiple entry, up to 3 months without employment. Airport transit visa: depends on nationality; up to a maximum of 5 days for single or multiple entry. Transit visa (overland): maximum stay of 5 days with single or multiple entry.


Travelers who require a visa and who arrive from a non-Schengen country and via the airports Berlin Tegel (6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), Düsseldorf (6 a.m. to 9 p.m.), Frankfurt/Main (24 hours), Hamburg (4.30 a.m. to 11.30 p.m.), Cologne/ Bonn (04.30 a.m. – 11.00 p.m.) or Munich (24 hours) without further stopovers in Germany with the same aircraft or the first connecting flight within 24 hours to another non-Schengen country and who have valid documents for the onward journey do not need a transit visa. You are not allowed to leave the transit area of ​​the airport. However, citizens of certain countries require a transit visa in any case. Note for Turkish nationals: e.g. Turkish citizens without a valid residence permit for a Schengen country always need a transit visa, even if they continue their journey on the same plane. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence.

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. Schengen visa: (a) (a) Passport valid for at least 3 months after the visa expires and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must have been issued within the last 10 years and have enough blank pages. (b) If applicable, all documents (in the original) showing the purpose (e.g. invitation from private individuals or companies, medical certificate and making an appointment with the treating doctor or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation ) justify. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form. The application for a work permit must be made in the country of destination; a residence permit is required. A processing time of 6-10 weeks must be expected, since the approval of the responsible foreigners authority must be obtained. Exceptions apply to nationals of EU and EFTA countries as well as Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and the USA. Citizens of all countries who take up work in the Federal Republic of Germany must be in possession of a valid passport.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence.

Temporary Residence

Citizens who require a visa must apply for a residence permit in advance at the German diplomatic missions abroad. EU citizens and Swiss citizens who want to stay in the country for more than 3 months must have their right of residence confirmed by the relevant administrative authority within 90 days of entering the country. You need a valid passport, two passport photos and proof of financing.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners requiring a visa must have sufficient funds and valid return or onward travel tickets.

Legally Required Registration

Foreigners who require a visa must register with the immigration authorities. To do this, you must register with the responsible residents’ registration office.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport, passport or identity card. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or children’s ID card for children up to the age of 16 (from 11 years with photo) or your own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: Unaccompanied minors are recommended to carry a written travel permit from their parents/guardians. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Birds from all countries require an import permit. This does not apply to parakeets and up to three parrots, which do not require an import permit, if a health certificate in German is available for each animal, which is not older than 10 days at the time of entry and which shows that the animal was in the last 30 days before the entry had no illnesses. Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass), which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has a valid rabies vaccination, if necessary. a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, Cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) can also use the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, for import. Re-entry conditions to Germany: When returning from EU countries and Norway, German customs require a pet ID card, an implanted microchip and a rabies vaccination. When returning from third countries at risk of rabies, such as Turkey, Russia and Tunisia, a certificate must also be presented stating that the animal was tested for rabies antibodies before leaving the country. Note: The import of the dog breeds Pitbull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Bull Terrier as well as dogs from crosses with these breeds is prohibited. Each state also has its own regulations. Further information on entry requirements for pets is available from the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture and from German Customs.

Germany Entry Requirements