France Entry Requirements

France Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Switzerland Yes, 1 no no
Other EU countries Yes, 1 no no
Turkey Yes 2 no
Germany Yes, 1 no no
Austria Yes, 1 no no

ID cards/identity cards

[1] et al. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter the country with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports of EU and EFTA citizens must be valid during the stay. Attention: The requirements of airlines and shipping companies can deviate from this!

Note on the passport

France is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required, except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for permanent residence, unless otherwise stated: (a) EU countries and Switzerland (Requirements for permanent residence: Valid identification document, sufficient financial Funds for unemployment and valid health insurance). (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit or a valid long-term visa (D) for a Schengen country and holding a passport issued less than 10 years ago, for stay until the expiry date of the visa/ residence permit.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in France. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the Consular Section of the Embassy. Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry visas: Short-term visas (transit visas as well as tourist visas for single or multiple entries) and long-term visas (study and work stays).


Transit visa: 5 days (the day of entry counts). Short-term visa: up to 90 days.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa, who fly on from a non-Schengen country with the next connection to another non-Schengen country, do not leave the transit area and have valid documents for the onward journey, do not need a transit visa. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence.

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must have been issued within the last 10 years. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (g) 1 completed application form (downloadable from the websites of the relevant diplomatic missions).

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. That is why the French representations in Germany and Austria only issue visas in individual cases.

Temporary Residence

EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than 3 months in France no longer have to have their right of residence certified by the responsible administrative authority. According to EU regulations, EU citizens can take up work without a permit. EU citizens and Swiss who want to stay longer than three months in France must either have an income or have sufficient financial means if they are unemployed or studying and have valid health insurance. In addition, they must register with their responsible residents’ registration office.

Processing time

Short Term Stay: 1 business day for nationals of most countries. Long Term Stay: Varies from 2 to 5 days to 2 months depending on the purpose of the visit.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photo, identity card or your own passport. Austrians: Identity card or children’s passport or your own passport. Swiss: identity card or passport. Turks: passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible. Unaccompanied minors are recommended to carry an officially certified declaration of consent from their legal guardians / parents. Unaccompanied minors residing in France must carry an officially certified declaration of consent from the legal guardians/parents if they are not accompanied by at least one parent. When entering a non-EU/Schengen country, the regulations of the respective country must be observed.

Entry with pets

For birds from all countries, a health certificate is required per animal, which is not older than 5 days at the time of entry and which shows that the animal has no diseases. Up to 2 parrots or budgies may be taken along. The traveler must certify in writing that he is the owner of the birds and will not sell them in France. Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass), which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has a valid rabies vaccination, if necessary. a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, Cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) can also use the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, for import. Note: Staffordshire Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers (both known as “Pitbulls”), Mastiff and Tosa dogs and breeds that are not listed in any stud book approved by the International Canine Federation are generally not allowed into France. They are only allowed to enter the country if they are entered in such a register. However, they are then subject to a leash and muzzle obligation on public streets and squares and may not be taken into public facilities and public transport.

France Entry Requirements