Estonia Entry Requirements

Estonia Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 2 no
Other EU countries No/1 no no
Germany no no no
Switzerland no no no
Austria no no no

ID cards/identity cards

i.a. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland ([1] Exceptions: a passport is required for nationals of Great Britain and Ireland (Rep.)).

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. In addition, the passports of non-EU citizens must not be more than ten years old. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

Estonia is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement). Within the Schengen area, there are no longer any identity checks for travelers at the border.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

Generally required, except for nationals of the following countries for a stay of up to 90 days within a six-month period: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a residence permit for a Schengen country (for a stay of up to 90 days within a six-month period).

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Estonia. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Schengen Visa: Airport Transit Visa: €80.00 Short Stay Visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six (6) and under twelve (12) years: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: 35 €.00

Visa types and costs

Airport transit, transit, short-term and long-term visa.


Transit visa: max. 5 days. Short Term Visa: 90 days within 6 months (single and multiple entry). Long-term visa: 1 year or 6 months if issued in Geneva.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who fly on from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country on the same day and do not leave the transit area do not require a transit visa. Excluded are nationals of some countries. Further information can be obtained from the relevant diplomatic missions (see contact addresses). In person at the competent consular representation in the applicant’s country of residence (see contact addresses).

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date, issued within the last 10 years and with at least 2 blank pages and copies of the first 4 pages of the passport. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm). (g) 1 completed application form (downloadable from

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence.

Temporary Residence

EU citizens who want to stay longer than 3 months in Estonia must have their right of residence certified by the relevant administrative authority. A passport may be required for this

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Documents required upon entry

Proof of foreign travel health insurance (EU citizens: European Health Insurance Card. Additional travel insurance recommended.)

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport or own passport or ID card. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: identity card or passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: From the age of 15, each person must have their own travel document. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) to travel abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass), which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import.

Estonia Entry Requirements