El Salvador Entry Requirements

El Salvador Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes no Yes
Other EU countries Yes no Yes
Switzerland Yes no Yes
Austria Yes no Yes
Germany Yes no Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must still be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.

Visa information

A visa is generally required, except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for a stay of up to 3 months in El Salvador or in the CA-4 region (El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua): (a) Germany, Austria and all other EU countries (b) Switzerland and (c) Turkey.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in El Salvador. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Germany, Austria and Switzerland: Germans, Austrians and Swiss do not need a visa for a stay of up to 90 days. The following prices apply to visa-required nationals who have a residence permit for these countries. Tourist & Business Visa: US$30 (single entry). US$60 (valid for 12 months, multiple entries). Fees are payable in euros at the current exchange rate.

Visa types and costs

Tourist and Business Visa.


Tourist visa: 30 days. Extensions up to a maximum of 90 days at the Dirección General de Migración in El Salvador.


Transit passengers who fly on with the next connection, have valid documents for the onward journey and do not leave the transit area do not need a transit visa. Exceptions: Citizens of some countries (but not those listed in the table above) always require a transit visa. Further information can be obtained from the relevant diplomatic missions. In person or by post at the consulate or at the consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses).

Application required

Tourist Visa: (a) 1 Application Form. (b) 1 color passport photograph. (c) Passport valid for at least six months upon entry with copies of all endorsed pages. (d) Police clearance certificate (no older than six months) or a valid US visa. (e) Proof of employment or study. (f) Invitation of a relative/acquaintance in El Salvador. (g) Round-trip ticket booking confirmation. (h) Fee (cash if applied for in person or by personal check or wire transfer). Business Visa: In place of (e) and (f): Company letter stating length of stay, name and address of company in El Salvador. A stamped, registered return envelope and proof of payment of the fees should be enclosed with the postal application. Note: Those documents that are not in Spanish, German or English must be translated into one of these languages ​​and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin.

Temporary Residence

Applications to the Ministry of Interior of El Salvador, Centro de Gobierno, San Salvador.

Processing time

Approx. 3 days plus mail. For nationals of some countries, the application process takes much longer.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have sufficient funds for their stay.

Documents required upon entry

All travelers from Europe (from the age of 6 months) must present proof of vaccination against measles and rubella upon arrival.

Extension of stay

If the entry stamp grants a visa-free stay of less than 90 days, it is possible to apply for an extension at the immigration authorities (Dirección General de Migración, Av. Norte y 17 Calle Poniente, San Salvador).

Entry with children

German: Own passport. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: Minors who are leaving El Salvador with only one parent or who are leaving El Salvador completely unaccompanied and who have stayed in El Salvador for more than 180 days require a formal exit permit from the parents who are not traveling with them. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Before departure, an import and an export permit must be applied for at the animal quarantine office in San Salvador. The completed application forms (available from the embassy, ​​also online at embajadaalemania.rree.gob.sv) must be accompanied by a health certificate showing the consent (visto bueno) of the consul. A certificate of origin, a health certificate, an international vaccination card (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, leptospirosis) and a rabies vaccination certificate are also required upon entry for dogs and cats over 3 months old, which confirms that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies at least 15 days before entry became. The health certificate must be issued by a veterinarian and confirmed by an official veterinarian. In addition, the certificate of origin and the certificate of health should be translated into Spanish and authenticated by the consular section of the relevant embassy.

El Salvador Entry Requirements