Egypt Entry Requirements

Egypt Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Germany 1 Yes 2 Yes
Austria Yes Yes 2 Yes
Switzerland Yes Yes 2 Yes
Other EU countries Yes, 1 Yes 2 Yes
Turkey Yes Yes Yes

ID cards/identity cards

Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can also enter the country for tourist stays with a valid identity card (+ two separate biometric passport photos). A special entry card is issued when entering Germany with an identity card. Nevertheless, it is advisable to enter the country with a passport for several reasons, because the identity card is not recognized by all places (e.g. for bank transfers) in Egypt: [1] Belgium, Germany, France, Italy and Portugal (note: nationals of the rest of the EU -Countries, Switzerland and Turkey require a passport). Note: When entering the country with an identity card, a special entry card must be filled out, for which two biometric current passport photos must be presented. However, the ID card is not accepted everywhere in Egypt as a sufficient identification document. Entering the country with a passport is easier and faster. However, the visa requirement remains in place (see also Note [2] on visas upon entry).

Passport information

Generally required, must still be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.

Visa information

A visa is required for all citizens listed in the table above. eVisa Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above may apply for an eVisa for tourist and business stays of up to 30 days prior to travel. The eVisa should be applied for at least 7 days before departure: (a) Germany, Austria and all other EU countries; (b) Switzerland. Note: The Federal Foreign Office points out that the issuance of e-visas is not yet technically mature and is merely an addition to the conventional issuance of visas. Visa on entry (a) [2] Currently, among others Citizens of EU countries for a maximum stay of 30 days receive a visa directly upon arrival at the airport (when entering by land or sea, the visa must be obtained in advance). Applying for a visa upon arrival at the airport usually involves waiting time. Applying for a visa prior to entry is recommended. Visa on arrival must be paid at official bank counters before passport control. Sinai resort permit stamps upon entry for beach resorts in the south of the Sinai Peninsula Upon entry via Taba Airport, St. Catharine and Sharm El-Sheikh Airport, tourists from all countries listed in the table above (except Turkish nationals) are allowed to enter with Sinai Resort Permit stamps for stays of up to 15 days and stay at seaside resorts in South Sinai. The Sinai Resort Permit Stamp is free and is issued at the border crossing. Entry by Ship Foreigners arriving in Egypt by ship and departing from the same port are permitted to stay in Egypt for a maximum of 24 hours. There are also residence permits for 3 days.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Egypt. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Note: These visa fees apply to visas applied for at a consular post prior to departure, not to visas on arrival. Germany: The fees apply to German and Turkish citizens with a residence permit for Germany: Application in Berlin, Frankfurt and Hamburg. The consulate in Berlin charges an additional service fee of €3 for all visa applications. Tourist visa: single entry: €25 (Germans) / in Berlin €22 (Germans) and €20 or €40 / in Berlin €38 (all other nationalities); multiple entry: €100 (multiple entry). Business visa: single entry: €100, multiple entry: €140. Visa upon arrival at the airport: US$ 25 or equivalent value in euros (single entry), US$ 60 or equivalent value in euros (multiple entries), if possible in cash. e-Visa: single entry: US$ 25, multiple entry: US$ 60 Attention: If airlines or travel companies take over the procurement of visas, service fees may result in significantly higher costs.

Visa types and costs

Tourist visa, business visa and transit visa for single or multiple entry.


Tourist visa: I. d. R. 3 months from date of issue (single entry). Business Visa: I.d. R. 3 months from the date of issue (single entry). An extension in the country is possible for visas obtained in advance and for visas on entry with a passport.


Transit passengers who continue their journey within 24 hours, do not leave the transit area and can present valid onward travel documents do not require a transit visa. In person at the responsible consular representation (see contact addresses) or visa upon entry or online an e-visa, which should be applied for at least 7 days before departure.

Application required

(a) 1 completed application form. (b) 2 biometric passport photos. (c) Passport with at least one blank page (remaining validity: 6 months upon entry). Copy of relevant pages of passport required. (d) Fees (in cash when applying, in Bern also by postal order). (e) If applicable, residence permit for Germany, Austria or Switzerland. (f) Hotel booking and flight ticket confirmation, if applicable. (g) Stamped and registered return envelope for delivery of visaed passport. Business visa additionally: (h) Company letter with company stamp, exact address of place of stay and length of stay. Additional documents may be required. Documents for visa on arrival (a) Passport (or ID card with 2 additional passport photos). (b) Return or onward travel tickets. (c) Fee (US$25) in cash. E-Visa (a) Passport valid for at least 8 months upon entry. (b) Visa Fee. (c) Itinerary. (d) Hotel Reservation. (e) letter of invitation, if applicable.

Processing time

Varies depending on nationality, but at least 3-5 working days, in Frankfurt for travelers with Turkish nationality 5 consular working days (express processing: 2 consular working days). In Bern, depending on nationality and purpose of travel, up to 6 weeks. Note: The processing time in the consular section of the embassy in Berlin is currently at least 1 week.

Extension of stay

Visa upon entry: Extension possible with passport (visa stamp); extension not possible with identity card and entry card.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photo or identity card or your own passport. When entering the country with an ID card, two separate current passport photos are required. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turkey: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. If a minor under the age of 18 is traveling alone or with only one parent/guardian, he/she will need their consent form (in English) and copies of the parents/other parent/guardian’s passports and their own birth certificate. The minor should be accompanied by another adult, which must be mentioned in the declaration of consent. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

For dogs and cats, an official veterinary health certificate from the country of origin is required upon entry, which must not be more than 2 weeks old. If the animal is found to be unhealthy upon entry, it must be quarantined for a maximum of 15 days. The traveler bears the costs.

Egypt Entry Requirements