Ecuador Entry Requirements

Ecuador Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes no Yes
Other EU countries Yes no Yes
Switzerland Yes no Yes
Austria Yes no Yes
Germany Yes no Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must still be valid for at least 6 months upon entry and must not be damaged.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Passports (or certified photocopies) must always be carried in Ecuador.

Visa information

Travelers from almost all countries are exempt from the visa requirement and can stay in the country for up to 90 days within a period of one year (entry stamp counts). Exceptions: Citizens of Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cuba, Eritrea, Haiti, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Senegal and Somalia require a visa. An extension of the visa-free stay is possible on site at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Violations of Ecuadorian residency laws can result in fines as well as deportations and expulsions. Information on visa requirements for long-term stays can be obtained from the responsible consular representation.

  • Ehuzhou: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Ecuador. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Different depending on nationality.

Visa types and costs

Including tourist, work and student visas.


Varies depending on the purpose of your stay.


Transit visas are not issued. By post (only possible in Berlin) or in person at the consulate or consular department of the embassy.

Application required

Entry visa (stay up to 180 days): (a) 1 application form (available online or from the diplomatic missions), (b) 1 passport photo with a white background, (c) passport (valid for at least 6 months upon entry) and a copy of the Passport, (d) Copy of round-trip ticket or electronic ticket reservation, (e) Police clearance certificate (minors: certificate of good behavior from an educational institution), (f) International travel health insurance valid for Ecuador and during the entire stay. (h) (possibly a measles vaccination), (i) proof of sufficient funds (e.g. bank confirmation or proof of income from employer), (j) postage stamps to the value of 3,

Temporary Residence

Information from the competent consular representation.

Processing time

3 to 4 weeks. You should contact the responsible diplomatic mission at least 1 month before the planned trip.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have sufficient funds.

Legally Required Registration

Any foreign citizen who has obtained a visa for a stay longer than 90 days must register it with the General Directorate for Foreign Affairs of the Ministry of the Interior (Dirección de Extranjería, Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, Comercio y Integración, Carrión E1-76 and Avenida 10 de Agosto, Quito Tel: (02) 299 32 00).

Documents required upon entry

(a) Return or onward travel tickets. (b) Upon entry, each visitor will receive an entry stamp. (c) Sufficient Funds. (d) Passport still valid for at least 6 months upon arrival. (e) International travel health insurance valid for Ecuador and throughout the stay. Galapagos Islands: Tourists need an entry form (Transit Control Card or Tarjeta de control de tránsito, TCT) on which, among other things, their name and passport number must be stated. It can be filled out at the airport counter upon immigration or sometimes obtained from the tour operator. The fee is US$10. In any case, valid health insurance in Ecuador, a valid return ticket and all hotel reservations for the entire length of stay are presented. If you are staying privately, you must be able to present a letter of invitation. Further information at

Extension of stay

The tourist visa can be extended once. The extended visa is valid for one year.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photograph or your own passport. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Warning: Minors traveling alone or with only one parent/guardian and who (also) have Ecuadorian nationality or permanent residence in Ecuador require a judicial, notarial or consular (Ecuadorian consulate abroad) certified declaration of consent if they are alone or travel with only one parent. Since the 27th Since June 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Ecuador Entry Requirements