Czech Republic Entry Requirements

Czech Republic Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Germany no no no
Austria no no no
Switzerland no no no
Other EU countries no no no
Turkey Yes 1 Yes

ID cards/identity cards

i.a. Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter with a valid ID card (all travel documents must include a photo) for a stay of up to 90 days: EU countries and Switzerland.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if the traveler is not an EU citizen. Passports of EU citizens must be valid during the stay.

Note on the passport

The Czech Republic is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement). There are no longer any ID checks for travelers within the Schengen area.

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

Generally required, except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above: (a) EU countries and Switzerland. (b) [1] Turkish nationals holding a valid residence permit for a Schengen country.

  • Lawschoolsinusa: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Czech Republic. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six and under twelve years of age: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: €35.00

Visa types and costs

Entry visa (short or long term), transit visa, airport transit visa.


Short Term Visa: Stay up to 90 days. Transit visa: up to 5 days.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa do not need a transit visa if they fly on from one non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country on the same day without leaving the transit area and have valid onward travel documents. Turkish nationals, among others, can only make use of this transit facilitation if they have a valid residence permit for a Schengen country or the USA. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence (see

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. (see contact addresses). Schengen visa: (a) Passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date and issued within the last 10 years and copies of the first four pages of the passport. (b) Where applicable, all original documents justifying the purpose (e.g. invitation of private persons or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the attending physician or in a hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation).. (c) documents proving that the (invited) foreigner has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey as well as any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. Short-term Schengen visa: The daily minimum for stays of less than 30 days is CZK 1,100, for stays of more than 30 days it is CZK 33,000 plus CZK 4,400 per month of stay. (d) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of valid international travel health insurance covering the cost of repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, he must do so in his own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay. The insurance must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (e) Visa Fee. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm). (g) 1 completed application form. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm). (g) 1 completed application form. (f) 2 recent biometric passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm). (g) 1 completed application form.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence.

Temporary Residence

EU citizens and Swiss nationals who wish to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 30 days must report to the responsible department of the immigration police within 30 days of arrival. Applications for a “Residence Permit EU” can be downloaded from the website of the Czech Ministry of the Interior.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Between 2 and 10 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Proof of sufficient funds

(a) Health insurance for travel abroad (EU citizens: European health insurance card. Additional return travel insurance recommended.) (b) Sufficient funds for the stay (cash, traveller’s cheques, credit cards, hotel vouchers, train or plane tickets if necessary, etc.)

Legally Required Registration

EU citizens who want to stay longer than 90 days in the Czech Republic are entitled (not obliged) to have their right of residence certified by the competent administrative authority (residence permit). A passport may be required for this. However, EU citizens with or without a residence permit are obliged to register their whereabouts with the local immigration police within 30 days of entering the Czech Republic. However, this rule does not apply to EU citizens staying in a hotel or guesthouse. Travelers requiring a visa must register their stay with the police within three days of their arrival.

Entry with children

Germans: Identity card, machine-readable children’s passport or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or own passport. Turks: passport. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

For animals from all countries, a health certificate from the state veterinary administration is required for each animal if the animal stays in the Czech Republic for more than 3 months. Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass) or a national pet passport, which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies.

Czech Republic Entry Requirements