Cuba Entry Requirements

Cuba Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes 1/2 Yes
Other EU countries Yes 1/2 Yes
Switzerland Yes 1/2 Yes
Austria Yes 1/2 Yes
Germany Yes 1/2 Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must still be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.

Note on the passport

Advanced Passenger Information System (Apis): The system of pre-recorded passenger data, called Advanced Passenger Information System (Apis), requires the registration of the following personal data of passengers by the transporting airline: name, surname, date of birth, nationality, passport number, country of residence, destination, type of travel document and gender. The data is collected at check-in. In addition, the address of the first accommodation in Cuba must be given upon entry.

Visa information

Generally required apart from exceptions, including citizens of the countries listed in the table above, require a tourist card for tourist stays of up to 30 days: a) Germany, Austria and all other EU countries as well as Switzerland. b) Turkey. [1] Tourist card (≈ visa): Tourist cards must be purchased before entering the country and are available from the Cuban embassy in Germany, from travel agencies or tour operators and from some airlines at the airport. Tourist cards entitle you to a single entry and a stay of up to 30 days in connection with a hotel booking. A one-off extension for a further 30 days is possible. When entering the country, the address of the accommodation must be given and proof of valid international travel health insurance (usually private insurance) must be provided. For more information on Cuba’s travel health insurance regulations, visit If a stay of more than 60 days is planned, a visa must be applied for in the country of origin before departure. [2] A visa is required for business trips. The business partner in Cuba obtains approval for this, after which the embassy in the country of residence can issue the visa. If this visa is not instructed by the business partner in Cuba, the business visa can also be applied for at the embassy in Berlin (see contact addresses).

Note on the visa

Attention: Since January 1st, 2022, travelers must submit the online form “Advance Information on the Traveler” (Declaración Jurada de Salud) via the “D’Viajeros” system within 72 hours before departure for Cuba. Travelers provide information in advance about personal data and their state of health, among other things, and make a customs declaration in order to speed up the immigration process. After filling in the form, the travelers will receive a QR code via e-mail, which must be presented upon arrival either in printed form or electronically. The electronic preliminary information about the traveler replaces the three following previously required documents in print version.

  • Lawschoolsinusa: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Cuba. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Tourist card: €22 (if applied for in person), €47 (if applied for on behalf of others). (If you apply by post, an extra fee of €25 will be charged). Business visa: €80.

Visa types and costs

Visitor visa (for family members of Cuban citizens), business visa, transit visa, journalist visa.


Tourist card: 180 days from the date of issue for a maximum stay of 30 days (extension of stay possible in the country). Visa: Usually 90 days from the date of issue.


Transit travelers who continue their flight within 72 hours and have valid onward travel documents do not need a transit visa. The transit room may be left for overnight stays in the hotel. In person or by post to the consular section of the embassy or consulate (see contact addresses). Tourist card: at least 2 weeks before departure.

Application required

Visa: (a) 1 application form. (b) 1 passport photo. (c) Passport that is valid for at least 6 months upon entry. (d) Photocopy of flight ticket and return ticket or package holiday booked. (e) Proof of valid international travel health insurance (insurance certificate with accompanying policy in Spanish). (f) Fee (in cash if applying in person or by bank transfer if applying by post). (g) If applicable, a letter of invitation (details from the consular post). In order to issue a business visa, an additional permit is required, which the Cuban business partner obtains and faxes to the embassy. Tourist card: (a) completed application form. (b) Passport that is still valid for at least 6 months upon entry. (c) Flight ticket and return ticket or flight confirmation for the outward and return journey and details of personal data and accommodation address in Cuba. (d) Fee (cash to Tour Operator or by personal cheque). (e) Proof of Hotel Booking. (f) Proof of valid international travel health insurance (insurance certificate with accompanying policy in Spanish). When applying to the embassy, ​​the informal cover letter should contain the following data: Surname, first name, passport number, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, country of residence and private address, address of a private individual or that of a hotel in Cuba, place of departure. A stamped, registered return envelope (EUR 3.60) should be enclosed with the postal application.

Temporary Residence

Inquiries to the embassy (see contact addresses).

Processing time

Tourist Card: In person: immediately. Postal: 5-6 working days (but it is recommended to submit the application at least 2 weeks before departure). Visa: 10 business days to several weeks.

Proof of sufficient funds

Proof of sufficient funds: Minimum US$50 per day of stay.

Documents required upon entry

(a) International travel medical insurance valid in Cuba during the stay. (b) Return/Onward Tickets.

Entry with children

Minors need their own tourist card. German: Machine-readable children’s passport or your own passport. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Attention: Unaccompanied Cuban minors (persons under the age of 18) need a travel permit from the responsible Cuban diplomatic mission, certified by the legal guardians. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

A certificate is required for cats, dogs and birds. An official pet ID card and an official health certificate from the country of origin are required to apply for this. An international vaccination certificate (rabies and distemper) is also required for dogs. All certificates must be officially authenticated in the country of origin, translated into Spanish and legalized by the Cuban consul in the country of origin. In addition, there are the consular fees for the certificate. All animals are quarantined for a maximum of 14 days. It is advisable to obtain precise information, also about quarantine regulations, from the responsible consular representation (see contact addresses).

Cuba Entry Requirements