Chile Entry Requirements

Chile Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes no Yes
Other EU countries Yes no Yes
Switzerland Yes no Yes
Austria Yes no Yes
Germany Yes no Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must still be valid for at least 6 months upon entry.

Note on the passport

Since regulations often change at short notice, you should inquire about the latest regulations at the responsible embassy.

Visa information

A visa is generally required, except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for tourist stays and visits of up to 90 days, unless otherwise stated: (a) Germany, Austria and all other EU countries (exception: Greek nationals can stay in Chile without a visa for a maximum of 60 days); (b) Switzerland; and (c) Turkey. Upon entry, tourists receive a “Tarjeta de Tourismo” (tourist card) free of charge, which must be presented again when leaving the country. In case of loss, it must be reported to the “Policía Internacional” in Santiago, Morandé 672, (tel. +56 2 26 80 91 10), or at the airport, (tel. +56 2 26 90 17 81).

  • Lawschoolsinusa: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Chile. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.

Visa types and costs

Tourist, work, student and resident visa. If you want to work or study in Chile, you need a special permit. Visitors from countries that do not have diplomatic relations with Chile require residence visas.


Usually up to 1 year (work visa up to 2 years). Entry must be within 90 days of the visa being issued.


Travelers who otherwise require a visa and who fly on with the next connection within 24 hours, have valid documents for the onward journey and do not leave the transit area do not require a transit visa. Application in person at the responsible consulate. Visas and passports must be picked up in person at the consulate.

Application required

Tourist Visa (single or multiple entry): (a) a completed application form. (b) Confirmed round-trip flight booking. (c) Simple photocopy of the valid passport (whose period of validity must exceed that of the visa) (d) If applicable, photocopy of the residence permit in Germany / Austria or in Switzerland. (e) Employment certificate or the three most recent payslips. (f) Letter of invitation from a private person or a company in Chile (address, telephone number, e-mail) or hotel reservation. (g) A biometric passport photo with full name on the back.

Temporary Residence

Inquiries should be directed to the consular posts, but residence permits are not readily issued.

Processing time

Approx. 4-6 weeks.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have sufficient funds.

Legally Required Registration

Visa holders who will not be staying in Santiago de Chile must report to the Jefatura Nacional de Extranjería y Policía Internacional (General Borgoño 1052, CL-Santiago de Chile) within 30 days of arrival.

Extension of stay

The 90-day stay can be extended once by 90 days for a fee of US$100. The extension must be applied for at least 30 days before the expiry of the residence permit at the “Departamento de Extranjería” (Foreigners’ Registration Office), San Antonio 580, Santiago de Chile (Tel. (02) 24 86 30 00) or at the respective “Gobernación Provincial” (Provincial Administration). will. Attention: It may no longer be possible to apply for extensions of stay in Chile since July 1, 2019 due to a new law. Further information can be obtained from the relevant diplomatic missions.

Entry with children

German: Own passport. The children’s passport with photo is not officially recognised, but in practice it is accepted upon entry. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Attention: Foreign minors up to the age of 18 who are traveling alone and staying in Chile for more than 90 days must have the appropriate permission from their legal guardians with them. Chilean minors need the travel permit of their legal guardians to leave Chile. The declaration, written in Spanish, must be certified by a Chilean mission abroad (embassy or consulate general) or by a notary. Legal guardians traveling alone with minor children must have the appropriate authorization from the second legal guardian, as well as the child’s birth certificate and valid identification documents from the parents. Those who z. B. have sole custody or are widowed or adopted, must also carry a certificate. A minor who is accompanied by legal guardians when entering Chile, but who should not leave the country with them, requires a declaration of consent in the form described above to leave Chile. In any case, all documents must be translated into Spanish, so that there are no problems with the entry formalities. Documents certified by a German notary must also have an apostille. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

For cats, dogs and ferrets, a health certificate from the official veterinarian of the country of origin is required, which was issued no more than 10 days before departure (if arriving via the USA: no more than 15 days) and translated into Spanish. In addition, for cats and dogs, a certificate of vaccination against rabies, carried out at least 30 days and at most 12 months before arrival, as well as proof of treatment against internal and external parasites is required. Contagious diseases must be noted as excluded in the health certificate for the individual. Female and male ferrets must be neutered. Note: The import of parrots is prohibited.

Exit permit

Foreigners without a tourist card, without confirmation of a visa application and/or without a registration certificate must apply for an exit permit at least five days before entering Chile.

Chile Entry Requirements