Bosnia and Herzegovina Entry Requirements

Bosnia and Herzegovina Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Germany 1 no Yes
Austria 1 no Yes
Switzerland 1 no Yes
Other EU countries 1 no Yes
Turkey Yes no Yes

ID cards/identity cards

[1] Citizens of the following nationalities listed in the table above may enter for a stay of up to 90 days within any 180 day period with at least 3 months post-stay validity: (a) Germany, Austria and all other EU countries; (b) Switzerland

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the stay.

Visa information

Attention: A negative corona test (PCR or antigen), proof of recovery or complete proof of vaccination must be presented upon entry. A visa is generally required except for nationals of the following countries listed in the table above (for stays of up to 90 days): (a) EU countries and Switzerland; (b) Turkey.

  • Lawschoolsinusa: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Different depending on nationality.

Visa types and costs

Private visit, tourist visa and business visa.


Single entry visa: Maximum 90 days. Multiple entry visa: Maximum 1 year. (Each individual stay in Bosnia-Herzegovina must not exceed 90 days). In person at the consulate or at the consular section of the embassy (see contact addresses).

Application required

(a) Passport valid for at least 3 months after departure. (b) 1 passport photo. (c) Confirmation of the travel agent about flight or train ticket. (d) Visa for third countries, if applicable. (e) Proof of sufficient funds for the trip and for travel health insurance abroad (verifiable e.g. via confirmed hotel booking, cash; cashless means of payment, provided that a bank from Bosnia-Herzegovina confirms their acceptance; letter of invitation from the person to be visited with the assumption of costs on their part if necessary, certified by the police authority responsible for the place of residence and the responsible administrative authority). (f) If applying in person in Berlin: Proof of transfer of the visa fee. If applying in person at other consulates: payment of the fee in cash. (g) completed visa application. (h) If applicable, residence permit for Germany, Austria and Switzerland. (i) certified invitation for private visit. (j) Proof of paid accommodation and meals through a tour operator. For business trips: Letter from the sending company with a precise statement of the purpose of the trip, the length of stay and the assumption of costs by the company as well as a letter of invitation from the business partner in Bosnia-Herzegovina. The letter of invitation must be authenticated by the Chamber of Commerce of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the administrative authority responsible for the place of business of the inviting legal entity and the competent police authority.

Processing time

Approximately 2 weeks.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have sufficient funds in cash: at least 150 KM (approx. €75) per person per day.

Legally Required Registration

Foreign nationals must report to the police within 48 hours of entry if a stay of more than 3 days is planned. Hotels usually handle the registration of their guests. Travelers who are not staying in a hotel must report to a police station. The fee for your own registration is 10 KM (approx. 5 €). Failure to comply will result in fines and, in the worst case, deportation.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photo or identity card or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Attention: Minors traveling alone or only with one parent who has custody require the consent of the parent who is not traveling with them to enter and leave the country. The permit should be written in Bosnian, Croatian or Serbian and must be officially certified. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU).

Bosnia and Herzegovina Entry Requirements