Bolivia Entry Requirements

Bolivia Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Turkey Yes no Yes
Other EU countries Yes No/1 Yes
Switzerland Yes no Yes
Austria Yes no Yes
Germany Yes no Yes

Passport information

Generally required, must still be valid for at least 6 months upon entry. Identification is required in Bolivia.

Note on the passport

Since the visa regulations can change at short notice, it is advisable to inquire about the current regulations at the responsible consular representation before starting your journey.

Visa information

A visa is generally required. Excluded are citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for a tourist stay of up to 90 days per calendar year (multiple entries and exits are permitted): EU countries, Switzerland and Turkey ([1] exceptions: visa is required for Citizens of Bulgaria, Malta, Romania and Cyprus). Attention: Upon entry, the aforementioned visa-exempt nationals initially receive a residence permit of 30 days, which can be extended twice free of charge by a further 30 days each at the migration authorities.

  • Lawschoolsinusa: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Bolivia. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


If a visa is required, visa fees vary by nationality and are dependent on the current exchange rate. Citizens of some countries receive the tourist visa free of charge. Information can be obtained from the responsible consular representatives.

Visa types and costs

Tourist visa, visa for a specific purpose (“visa de objeto determinado”: business trip or employment with employment contract, internship, unpaid voluntary work, marriage, temporary transfer of residence or immigration, film production for commercial purposes), student visa, transit visa.


Tourist visa: 30 days from the day of entry, visa for a specific purpose (e.g. business trip): 30 days from the day of entry (possibility of extension up to 90 days on site). Student visa: 60 days (possibility of extension up to 90 days on site).


Travelers who otherwise require a visa, who travel on within 24 hours, have valid documents for the onward journey and do not leave the transit area do not require a transit visa. However, nationals of China always need a transit visa. Consulate or consular department of the embassy (see contact addresses). For nationals of some countries (but not EU countries), permission must be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bolivia before applying for a visa, which usually takes a few weeks. More information from the competent consular representation (see contact addresses).

Application required

Tourist visa: (a) Cover letter to the consular department of the embassy or one of the honorary consulates, stating the address and telephone number of the applicant ( (b) 2 application forms and copy ( (c) 2 recent color passport photos (3.5 x 4 cm). (d) Passport that is valid for at least 6 months upon entry. (e) Proof of round-trip ticket or proof of itinerary. (f) Proof of Sufficient Funds. (g) Possibly a travel permit for minors traveling alone or with only one parent to Bolivia. (h) Proof of vaccination against yellow fever (small children and persons over 65 years of age are excluded). (i) Police clearance certificate not older than 1 month. Business visa (a)-(i) (j) Excerpt from the commercial register of the inviting company (all nationalities except German). Additional documents may be required, which can be requested from the responsible consular representation. If the application is submitted by post, a stamped, registered return envelope should be enclosed. This information can change at short notice.

Temporary Residence

Inquiries to the consular representations (see contact addresses).

Processing time

Different depending on nationality, usually about 2 weeks.

Proof of sufficient funds

Foreigners must have sufficient funds.

Documents required upon entry

(a) Return/Onward Ticket (b) Sufficient Funds. (c) A valid yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for all travelers (excluding children younger than 12 months) wishing to visit yellow fever endemic areas in Bolivia. Yellow fever endemic areas are below 2,300 m, including the Bolivian Amazon River Basin.

Entry with children

German: Machine-readable children’s passport with photograph or your own passport. Austrians: Own passport. Swiss: Own passport. Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: Minors traveling alone or with only one legal guardian must carry authorizations from their legal guardians with them. These must be notarized by a Bolivian diplomatic mission, with a certified translation into Spanish. For stays longer than 90 days, a permit from a Bolivian juvenile court is required for the departure of unaccompanied minors. The minor must apply for this authorization in the presence of two witnesses and present the original birth certificate with an apostille. Further information can be obtained from the consular representations. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (including within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

A health certificate from the country of origin is required for birds, cats and dogs, certifying that the animal is disease-free. A rabies vaccination certificate is also required for cats and dogs. In any case, it is advisable to contact the responsible consular representation in good time.

Exit permit

A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required upon departure if the onward journey is to a yellow fever endemic area.

Bolivia Entry Requirements