Belgium Entry Requirements

Belgium Entry Requirements

Passport and visa regulations


Passport required visa required Return ticket required
Other EU countries 1 no no
Turkey Yes 2 no
Austria 1 no no
Switzerland 1 no no
Germany 1 no no

ID cards/identity cards

[1] Citizens of the following countries listed in the table above can enter with a valid ID/ID card: EU countries and Switzerland. Note: Identification is required in Belgium.

Passport information

Generally required, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa if a visa is required. Passports of EU and EFTA citizens usually have to be valid during the stay. Note: Airline requirements may vary.

Note on the passport

Belgium is a signatory and user of EU legal acts (Schengen Agreement).

Note on the endorsement in the passport

Important: Persons requiring a visa must carry a passport or another recognized travel document and the Schengen visa with them during their stay in the Schengen area.

Visa information

A visa is generally required except for citizens of the following countries listed in the table above for stays of up to 90 days (EU citizens may stay in Belgium indefinitely under the following conditions: pursuing gainful employment or proof of sufficient financial means and a health insurance or studying): (a) EU countries and Switzerland; (b) [2] Turkish nationals holding a valid residence permit for Monaco or for a Schengen country.

  • Lawschoolsinusa: Offers ultimate guide to duty-free shopping in Belgium. Also includes import and export regulations, as well as embassy and telecommunication information about this country.


Inquiries to the Consular Section of the Embassy. Schengen visa: Airport transit visa: €80.00 Short stay visa, less than 90 days: €80.00 Children over six (6) and under twelve (12) years: €40.00 Citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia: 35 €.00

Visa types and costs

Short-term, long-term visa, transit visa.


Different. An extension should be applied for at the consular representation. In person at the relevant consular post in the applicant’s country of residence.

Application required

Varies depending on nationality, reason and length of stay. The responsible consular representations provide further information. Schengen visa: (a) Travel document (e.g. passport) valid for at least 3 months beyond the visa expiry date, contains at least two blank pages, was issued less than ten years ago and copies of the first four pages of the passport. The passport must not be older than 10 years. (b) Where applicable, all documents (originals) showing the purpose (e.g. invitation from private individuals or companies, medical certificate and appointment with the treating Belgian doctor or in a Belgian hospital) and the conditions of the planned stay (e.g. Hotel reservation) justify. (c) Documents proving that the foreigner (invited) has sufficient funds to cover the costs of the stay and return journey and any costs for his medical care, if necessary in the form of an obligation to assume the costs. The commitments presented at the diplomatic or consular post are only valid if accompanied by a document proving that the guarantor is a Belgian national or has unlimited residency in Belgium (e.g. a copy of the identity card ), as well as a payslip or documents confirming the income and solvency of the guarantor. (d) Documents certifying the planned accommodation (eg a private letter of invitation, hotel booking, etc.). (e) Documents proving that the center of life is in the country of origin (e.g. employment contract, proof of a regular income, property ownership, etc.). (f) Document proving that the alien is the holder, on an individual or collective basis, of travel medical insurance covering the cost of medical repatriation, urgent medical treatment and/or hospital care. In principle, the applicant must take out insurance in the country of residence. If the host takes out insurance for the applicant, they must do so in their own country of residence. The insurance taken out must be valid for the entire territory of the Schengen countries and for the entire duration of the stay and must have a minimum coverage of €30,000. (g) Visa Fee. (h) 2 recent biometric passport photos. (i) 1 completed and signed application form. If the Schengen visa is approved, proof of a return or onward travel ticket is required for its issuance.

Schengen visas

Before entering the Schengen area, nationals of visa-required countries must apply for a Schengen visa for the country they enter first when transiting through the Schengen area. This is only issued by the competent consular representation of the country in which the person has their permanent residence. That is why the Belgian representations in Germany and Austria only issue visas in individual cases.

Temporary Residence

EU citizens who want to stay longer than 3 months in Belgium must have their right of residence certified by the relevant administrative authority. You may need your passport for this. Information can be obtained from the consular representations.

Processing time

Short-term stay: Up to 15 working days. Long-term stay: Several months.

Legally Required Registration

For certain foreign employees, business travellers, interns and self-employed persons (including EU citizens) who only work temporarily or partly in Belgium (more than five working days per month) and are not subject to Belgian social security, there is a LIMOSA registration obligation before starting work that can be made online.

Entry with children

German: Identity card or children’s passport or your own passport. Austrians: identity card or own passport. Swiss: Identity card or passport or children’s ID card for children under the age of 15 (with photo from the age of 7). Turks: Own passport. Note: The same visa requirements apply to children as to their parents. Note: Unaccompanied minors should have written travel authorization from their parents/guardians. Since June 27, 2012, children need their own travel document (passport / children’s passport) for trips abroad (also within the EU). Entries of children in the parental passport are no longer possible.

Entry with pets

Dogs, cats and ferrets from EU countries and non-rabies-free third countries require an EU pet passport (pet pass), which can only be issued by authorized veterinarians, and must have an implanted microchip on their neck as an identifier. The pet passport must show that the animal has had a valid rabies vaccination and, if necessary, a valid booster vaccination against rabies. The import is limited to 5 animals. Pets under 4 months of age are exempt from the compulsory vaccination against rabies. The following additional regulation applies to dogs, cats and ferrets as well as to birds and small animals from non-rabies-free third countries: A health certificate is required for each animal. For entry into the EU area, a test for the presence of vaccinal antibodies must be carried out on pets 3 months before entry. Exception: The 3-month period does not apply to pets whose EU pet passport shows that the blood was taken before this animal left the territory of the Community and that the blood analysis showed sufficient antibodies to rabies. For dogs, cats and ferrets from rabies-free third countries (e.g. Switzerland, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Vatican City) the pet passport, which confirms a valid rabies vaccination, can also be used for import. For budgerigars and parrots from EU countries, a health certificate issued by the competent veterinary office is required.

Belgium Entry Requirements