STUDIED IN THE UNITED STATES
Welcome to the best colleges and universities in the USA! We index of 1800+ four year, accredited colleges and universities in the United States of America (USA) organized by State and list program in alphabetical order. For the very top-ranked college, please visit topschoolsintheusa.com.
FROM APPLICATION TO CAMPUS
It is not for nothing that the USA is called the “land of unlimited opportunities” – many immigrants have realized their “American Dream” and created something new in the past few centuries. So America became the unique, multicultural country that it is today. Take your chance and live your dream!
We have summarized some useful information for you so that your semester abroad or studies in the USA and all necessary preparations run smoothly.
The basis of an application for a degree in the USA is the completion of a secondary school education with a corresponding certificate of completion. Your exact grades and scores play an important role in admission and often the university checks individually whether you meet their requirements. In the United States, every university has its own admission standards, but there is a versatile approach in international comparison – the following criteria play a role:
- grade point average
- Score in the admission test (SAT, ACT, TOEFL)
- essays and questionnaires as part of the application process
- list of your courses from school
- volunteer work and engagement in associations during school time
- letters of recommendation from teachers
- any language tests to be taken
The choice of university has an impact on the weighting of the individual admission criteria and the extent to which they have to be met. For example, if you apply at Harvard or at MIT, several criteria play an important role and of course your grade point average should be very high in these cases. American universities usually also check whether you are able to finance your studies. You will only receive a study permit if you can prove your solvency.
STUDENT VISA FOR THE USA
You need a visa to study in the United States. Students have three different student visas to choose from: the J visa for exchange students, the F-1 visa for academic studies, and the M-1 visa for non-academic and job-related studies. After you have applied to a university and received a confirmation, you can apply for a suitable visa using “Form I-20A-B”. It is important that your university in the United States is state-accredited – this is a minimum requirement to issue a student visa. In addition, you must have taken out (foreign) health insurance. Please also note that your visa application must be paid before you are invited to the interview and your application is approved.
U.S. Travel Guide By State
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE UNITED STATES
In order to be able to pay for your studies in the USA, there are various (partly state) grants, the so-called grants. There are a large number of scholarships, but most of the scholarships are only valid for a certain period, for example for a semester abroad or for your bachelor’s thesis. In any case, it is worth taking a look at the Austrian database for grants and research funding, which lists all available grants.
Another option lies directly with the American universities. Foreign students can also receive funding there. You can contact either the “Admission Officer” or the “Foreign Student Advisor” of your respective university.
Finally, you have the opportunity to get a scholarship from the “Fullbright Commission”. This is basically a “carefree package” in which, for example, travel expenses, tuition fees and health insurance are paid in full. However, only a few participants are funded each year and the competition is correspondingly high.
LANGUAGE COURSE FOR STUDYING IN THE USA
The “TOEFL” (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is an internationally recognized language test for English-language university entrance and one of the entry requirements for studying in the USA. It is a unique internet-based test with four different examination disciplines (writing, speaking, reading and listening). The cost of the TOEFL is around $ 250.
FUNDING AND COSTS OF STUDYING IN THE UNITED STATES
As already explained, there is the possibility to acquire a scholarship and thus finance the study or at least cover part of the costs. In addition, while studying in the USA, it is possible to apply for the Austrian “Aid for Study Abroad” (BAS). The amount of this contribution depends on the cost of living and studying in the host country and is a maximum of 487 euros per month for the USA. In addition, a travel allowance of over 460 euros is possible. In addition to the allowance for studying abroad and reimbursement of travel expenses, the “normal” study allowance is usually paid. For more information and how to apply, you should contact the relevant student grants authority.
If everything goes smoothly with your application and enrollment in the United States, you can expect living expenses of around $ 1,000 per month during your stay in the United States (excluding tuition fees). The tuition costs are therefore between 16,000 and 46,000 US dollars per year (depending on the tuition fees). But be careful here, this calculation assumes that you live on the university campus. If you live outside the university campus (“off campus”), the costs can be much higher and vary greatly depending on the city and region.
Since you have to pay for your health costs in America and these are much higher than in Austria, it is worth taking out insurance. In addition to the financial benefits, it is imperative to take out a foreign insurance for the visa. You can find a comparison of different, inexpensive insurance policies for students here.
- Top Australian MBA Programs
- IT Management Degrees
- List of Culinary Arts Cooking Schools in the Philippines
- How to Prepare for ACT
- How to Study for the SAT at Home
CAMPUS LIFE AT US UNIVERSITIES
Student life in the United States is primarily about student unions. Regardless of whether you like to play football, take part in the theater or are looking to interact with like-minded students. You can do all of this in one of the many associations. In addition to the abundance of student associations, there are “open” events such as film screenings, game evenings or competitions on the campuses. Most of these events can be found in the calendar of the relevant university and are accessible to every student!
As defined by abbreviationfinder, USA or US is abbreviated for United States of America, a country which consists of 50 states, as listed above. This site specializes on top-ranked 4-year universities.
The United States is one of the countries with the largest number of most visited cities in the world. For various reasons, tourists from all over the world travel to the country, looking for fun, contacting with nature, or shopping. Let’s look at some of these most popular cities:
→ San Francisco
The main postcard of the United States is the famous Golden Gate Bridge. The city of San Francisco is located in the state of California, west of the United States. Considered one of the country’s financial centers, San Francisco has approximately one million residents and large companies, such as Uber, Google and Facebook, making it ranked 18th in the world’s richest cities.
The city is also known for liberal activism, which is why there is a huge homosexual population in the area. There are several sights in the city, such as the famous Golden Gate Bridge and also the Chinatown district.
→ Las Vegas
Las Vegas is the city of entertainment. The city of Las Vegas is located in the state of Nevada . Many visitors come to the city looking for entertainment. Las Vegas is known for its nightly shows, theaters, music, casinos and luxury hotels. About 42 million people visit the city each year. The economy is based on tourism and also on the concentration of large companies and industries. Many films are recorded in the city, making it known worldwide.
Honolulu is the Hawaiian city known for its beautiful beaches. Honolulu is located in the state of Hawaii, which is found in an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. The city is also the capital of the state and attracts tourists from all over the world looking for paradisiacal beaches and good waves.
The climate in Honolulu is tropical, due to its location close to Ecuador. High temperatures are recorded even during winter. In addition to the beautiful beaches, the main tourist spots in the city are: the Pearl Harbor base, the Chinatown neighborhood and the Bishop Museum.
→ New York
One of the main sights in New York is Central Park. The city of New York is located in the state of the same name . It is the most populous city in the United States, with approximately more than 8 million residents and more than 20 million in the metropolitan region. New York is considered one of the best cities in the world to live.
Culture, entertainment, gastronomy and fashion are the main landmarks of the city. In it you will find the bustling Times Square, as well as a huge green area full of nature and tranquility, Central Park.
Orlando is the most visited city in the United States. The city of Orlando is located in the state of Florida on the east coast of the United States. The city is quite famous , known for its Disney theme parks. In 2017 the city received more than 72 million tourists.
According to Forbes, Orlando was the best city for real estate investment in 2018. Theme parks are constantly expanding and have an enviable structure. Orlando is currently the most visited city in the United States and the second most visited in the world.
United States Relationship with Canada
The United States and Canada are mutually main economic partners. The relationship between the United States and Canada is historic. Countries are borderline and have very similar characteristics in terms of development, economy and public policies. Together they correspond to the largest and most efficient commercial partnership in the world. Canada and the United States are part of groups such as NATO and the USMCA.
View by Country
College definitions: in the U. S, a place that gives students degrees. A school of this type can also be called a university if it is large enough to give more than one type of degree; all the students and teachers in a college; one of the parts that some universities are divided into; in the U.K, a place that gives students qualifications below the level of a university degree, often in the skills they need to do a particular job.
- Kansas City, Kansas Weather by Month (11/29/2023) - Kansas City, Kansas, situated in the heart of the United States, experiences a humid continental climate with four distinct seasons. The city enjoys hot summers, cold winters, and transitional seasons of spring and fall. Let's explore the weather in Kansas…
- Overland Park, Kansas Weather by Month (11/22/2023) - Overland Park, Kansas, experiences a humid continental climate with distinct seasons, featuring hot summers, cold winters, and transitional spring and fall months. The city, located in the American Midwest, offers residents and visitors a variety of weather conditions throughout the…
- Wichita, Kansas Weather by Month (11/15/2023) - Wichita, located in south-central Kansas, experiences a continental climate with distinct seasons. The city is known for its hot summers, cold winters, and relatively mild spring and fall seasons. Here's a detailed overview of the weather by month in Wichita:…
- San Francisco State University (SFSU) (11/13/2023) - Nestled in the vibrant and culturally rich city of San Francisco, San Francisco State University (SFSU) stands as a beacon of higher education, diversity, and innovation. With a history dating back to the late 19th century, SFSU has evolved into…
- Gas City, Indiana (11/9/2023) - Gas City, Indiana is a charming city blessed with unique and diverse geography. Located in Grant County, Gas City is surrounded by picturesque landscapes and natural beauty that contribute to its overall appeal. From rolling hills to sparkling lakes, the…
- Goodway, Alabama (11/2/2023) - Goodway, Alabama is a small town nestled in the southern part of the state. It is known for its beautiful geography, which combines elements of both coastal and inland landscapes. With its diverse terrain and natural wonders, Goodway offers a…
- Three Mile Bay, New York (10/26/2023) - Three Mile Bay is a charming hamlet located in Jefferson County, New York. Situated on the eastern end of Lake Ontario, this small community offers residents and visitors a picturesque setting amidst stunning natural beauty. With its unique geography and…
- Minsk, Belarus Geography (10/23/2023) - Minsk, the capital and largest city of Belarus, is situated in the eastern part of the country, along the banks of the Svisloch River. The geography of Minsk is characterized by its location on the flat plains of Eastern Europe,…
- Swain, New York (10/19/2023) - Swain, New York, is a charming town nestled in Allegany County. Its geography is defined by rolling hills, lush forests, and picturesque landscapes that make it a perfect destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. Let's delve deeper into the…
- Spring Mills, Pennsylvania (10/12/2023) - Spring Mills is a small borough located in Centre County, Pennsylvania. Situated in the heart of the state, it is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, rolling hills, and a serene countryside. With a population of around 300, Spring Mills offers a…